top of page
  • Writer's pictureConsulting24

Why Do You Need a Crypto License?

As the digital finance landscape evolves, the cryptocurrency sector has firmly established itself as a linchpin. With its burgeoning influence, the urgency for robust regulations and standards to verify its legitimacy and enhance security becomes paramount. This brings to the fore the indispensable role of crypto licensing.

Understanding the Importance of Crypto Licensing

Embarking on operations without a license is akin to navigating a minefield. Whether as an individual or an organization, the absence of a license means you bear the brunt of any adverse outcomes. Such licensing serves as a protective shield for both businesses and their patrons. To investors, a license is an emblem of an establishment's dedication to maintaining industry best practices and standards. Moreover, having a license facilitates the opening of dedicated bank accounts for transaction processing, optimizing operations and offering additional financial safeguards.



Crypto licenses in Lithuania
Crypto licenses in Lithuania

The Global Landscape: Lithuania and Dubai Lithuania has emerged as a beacon for crypto authorization. The nation proffers two primary licenses: the Cryptocurrency Exchange License and the Crypto Wallet and Custodian Services License. The Lithuanian licensing framework is widely endorsed, with a slew of banks, payment processors, and branded debit card issuers recognizing its validity. The procedure is streamlined: a team member can don the mantle of the director, with the only other recruitment being an AML (Anti-Money Laundering) professional. It's noteworthy that Lithuania has issued an impressive tally of over 500 licenses. The estimated setup time is 30-60 days.



Dubai crypto license
Crypto license in Dubai

In contrast, Dubai's approach to crypto licensing is more exacting. The Virtual Asset Regulatory Authority (VARA) in Dubai shoulders the responsibility of issuing these licenses. It's pivotal to note that without VARA's endorsement, entities are prohibited from offering any crypto-related services within Dubai's jurisdiction. To put things into perspective, VARA has only sanctioned 10 licenses thus far, spotlighting Dubai's stringent criteria. Furthermore, non-compliance or operating without a license can trigger hefty penalties. Estimated set-up time is 1 year.

In Dubai, prospective entities can apply for a variety of licenses, such as:

  • Broker-Dealer License;

  • Custody License;

  • Exchange License;

  • Lending and Borrowing License;

  • Virtual Asset Management and Investment Services License;

However, the journey in Dubai comes with its own set of challenges. One of the most significant hurdles is opening a bank account specifically for crypto activities. In some instances, this endeavor can levy a hefty fee of up to 15,000€ and entail a prolonged waiting period.

Prominent providers aligned with Lithuanian licenses include:

  • Simplex

  • CoinGate

  • Nexo

  • Genesis Xchange

Diverse Advantages of a Crypto License Armed with a Lithuanian crypto license, businesses can:

  • Extend exchange services

  • Facilitate Over-the-counter (OTC) transactions

  • Launch Initial Exchange Offerings (IEO)

  • Enable Bitcoin sales through bank transfers or debit/credit cards

  • Oversee utility token trades

  • Handle crypto-to-crypto, crypto-to-fiat, and fiat-to-crypto exchanges

  • Initiate Euro bank accounts for Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency transactions

  • Issue branded debit cards

  • Administer crypto funds

  • Offer custodial services

  • Delve into futures and shorts trading

  • Spearhead NFT creation and sales

  • Promote staking initiatives

  • Manage Euro deposits and withdrawals


Licensing Criteria To secure a crypto license in Lithuania, aspirants must:

  • Possess a share capital of €125,000, with an upfront 25% surge (€31,250) and the rest 75% (€93,750) to be augmented within a year.

  • Operate an active bank account

  • Designate a resident director and a local AML officer

  • Set up a virtual office

In summation, a crypto license, especially when acquired from esteemed locales like Lithuania or Dubai, can be a transformative asset. It not only bolsters credibility but also ensures a framework of legality and security, shielding both the enterprise and its customer base.


Commenti


bottom of page